Brooklyn Park is RCP’s community partner for the 2016–2017 school year. A northwestern suburb of the Twin Cities, Brooklyn Park’s mission is to be “a thriving community inspiring pride where opportunities exist for all.” Brooklyn Park is located in Hennepin County, and is the sixth-largest city in the state.
RCP will partner with Brooklyn Park on 25 projects designed to further the city’s strategic planning priorities, which include financial sustainability, focused redevelopment and development, community image, adapting to changing demographics, public safety and strong neighborhoods.
Almost half of the 25 projects help advance the city’s goal of adapting to changing demographics. In 1990, just 10% of Brooklyn Park’s residents identified as people of color. Today, Brooklyn Park is already as diverse as the rest of Minnesota will be by 2040. More than half of the city’s 79,000 residents are people of color, and 20% of residents are recent immigrants to the United States. Strikingly, 10% of residents are immigrants from Liberia, giving Brooklyn Park (when combined with Brooklyn Center) the largest population of Liberians outside of Liberia.
48 organizations, groups of community members, and governmental bodies and departments will collaborate on RCP projects this year, with partners ranging from North Hennepin Community College and the Brooklyn Bridge Alliance for Youth to local food entrepreneurs and the African Development Center.
RCP–Brooklyn Park Partnership in the News:
- UMD News: July 31, 2017, Nourishment from nature
- CCX Media: May 15, 2017, U of M helps Brooklyn Park shape city’s future
- Star Tribune: May 14, 2017, Brooklyn Park taps into U student research to solve problems
- The Sun Post: October 5, 2016, Initiative aimed at creating a more resilient community kicks off in Brooklyn Park
- MPR News: September 26, 2016, Conference focuses on individual, community resilience
- The Chamber View (North Hennepin Area Chamber of Commerce): Summer 2016, Resilient Communities Project: A partnership with the University of Minnesota
- Northwest Community Television: July 12, 2016, Brooklyn Park Mayor’s Minutes
- The Sun Post: November 16, 2015, Brooklyn Park Selected for Resilient Communities Project