The City of Ramsey was RCP’s community partner for the 2017–2018 academic year. A northwestern suburb of the Twin Cities only 25 miles from Minneapolis, Ramsey is located along the rapidly growing Interstate 94/U.S. Highway 10 corridor between the Twin Cities and St. Cloud, and has a stop on the Northstar Commuter Rail Line. Ramsey has long benefitted from its location on the Mississippi River. It contained one of the first permanent European settlements in the area, and was officially organized as Ramsey Township in 1857, a year before Minnesota was granted statehood. The township was incorporated as the City of Ramseyin November of 1974. The city’s population is projected to grow rapidly over the next two decades, from 23,000 residents today to nearly 35,000 residents and 13,000 households by 2040.
RCP partnered with Ramsey on 21 projects matched with 47 courses spanning 16 departments at the University of Minnesota, engaging more than 280 graduate, professional, and undergraduate students. You can view a summary of the partnership and projects, or learn more about individual projects by visiting the City of Ramsey Projects page.
RCP–City of Ramsey Partnership in the News:
- Quad Cities Community Television (QCTV), June 5, 2018, Ramsey News & Views: RCP End-of-Year Event (video—segment begins at the 5:20 mark)
- Minnesota Public Radio, May 5, 2018, Scott, Ramsey counties to tap U of M expertise to gain resilience
- Anoka County Union Herald, February 12, 2018, U of M student project with Ramsey halfway done
- Humphrey School News (UMN Humphrey School of Public Affairs), December 15, 2017, Making Planning Legible
- Quad Cities Community Television (QCTV), December 2017, Ramsey News and Views: RCP Update (videosegment begins at the 6:15 mark).
- Quad Cities Community Television (QCTV), September 2017, Ramsey Matters: Resilient Communities
- Planning Minnesota, May-June 2017, Ramsey Resilient Communities Project (see p. 12)
- The Ramsey Resident (city newsletter), May-June 2017, City of Ramsey Partners with University of Minnesota through Resilient Communities Project
- Conversations (Center for Transportation Studies blog), April 27, 2017, Resilient Communities Project to partner with City of Ramsey
- ABC Newspapers, April 24, 2017, University of Minnesota to partner with Ramsey on long-range planning
- Quad Cities Community Television (QCTV), April 2017, Ramsey News & Views
- Star Tribune, March 24, 2017, U project picks Ramsey for partnership
- Press Release, March 16, 2017, University of Minnesota to partner with City of Ramsey through Resilient Communities Project