For its 2012–2013 inaugural year, the Resilient Communities Project partnered with the City of Minnetonka. Located in Hennepin County just eight miles west of Minneapolis, Minnetonka is a fully developed suburban community of 49,374 residents (2010 Census), making it the 17th largest city in Minnesota. Like many developed communities, Minnetonka is experiencing change at the beginning of the 21st century—from an aging population, growing traffic congestion, and threats to water quality to new immigrant residents, redevelopment opportunities, and the prospect of a new light-rail line.
During the 2012–2013 academic year, RCP collaborated with Minnetonka to complete 14 projects that engaged 25 classes and more than 200 students across eight schools and colleges at the University of Minnesota, all focused on advancing local sustainability and resilience. You can access a handout summarizing the partnership and projects here. Visit the Minnetonka Projects page to see a more detailed list of projects and the work that students produced.
- Humphrey School News, May/June 2013, Humphrey School Students Work to Help Cities Become More Sustainable
- Sun Sailor, Jan 9, 2013. Resilient Communities Project Meeting Jan 12 in Minnetonka
- Eye on Earth, January 7, 2013. Putting the "U" in Community
- Humphrey News, October/November 2012, University Enters into New Partnership for Community Sustainability
- Minnesota Daily, September 27, 2012, U Partners with Minnetonka
- NextStep e-newsletter, September 27, 2012, Resilient Communities Project
- Lakeshore Weekly News, September 24, 2012, City Partners with U for Sustainability Projects
- Minnetonka Patch, September 17, 2012, U of M, Minnetonka Partner to Enhance City
- UMN News Release, September 14, 2012, Minnetonka, University of Minnesota Partner to Educate Students and Boost Community Resilience
- Star Tribune, September 14, 2012, U Offering Cities a New Partnership to Solve Problems
- UMN Media Advisory, September 13, 2012, University of Minnesota Resilient Communities Project– Minnetonka Kicks Off Friday, Sept. 14