RCP’s community partner for the 2014-2015 academic year was the City of Rosemount, located in Dakota County. Today Rosemount is a rapidly developing outer-ring suburb located only 15 miles from the Twin Cities, but the city has a long, rich history and retains a small-town atmosphere. Settled by Scottish and Irish immigrants in the early 1850s, Rosemount organized as a township in 1858 and was incorporated as a city in 1974. During World War II, nearly 15% of Rosemount's land area was acquired by the federal government as the site for an ordnance works plant that operated for only a few months before the war ended. Today, that land is owned by the University of Minnesota and is known as UMore Park, the proposed site of a future sustainable community. With a land area of nearly 36 square miles, Rosemount is home to industry, commerce, agriculture, and a rapidly growing residential community. With its population expected to double by 2040, Rosemount faces both challenges and opportunities in the coming decades as it strives to become a more sustainable and resilient community.
RCP partnered with Rosemount on 29 projects that engaged more than 400 students in dozens of courses from across the University of Minnesota. You can view a summary of the partnership and projects, visit the Rosemount Projects page to learn more about individual projects, or download the RCP-Rosemount Partnership Annual Report.
RCP–Rosemount Partnership in the News:
- Rosemount Town Pages: January 14, 2016, City considers how to make the most of Resilient Communities Project results
- Rosemount Town Pages: July 30, 2015, City notes: Events keep residents engaged
- Institute on the Environment News: June 9, 2015, University-Rosemount partnership "a gift"
- Planning Minnesota (American Planning Association Minnesota Chapter): May-June 2015, U of M Planning Students Help Advance Resilience in Rosemount
- Rosemount Town Pages: May 28, 2015, City notes: Water conservation is a focus for city
- Sun This Week: May 8, 2015, Handing over the keys: U of M students complete projects for Rosemount
- Rosemount Town Pages: May 7, 2015, Sustainability Partnership with University of Minnesota Gives Rosemount a Lot to Work With
- Rosermount Town Pages: April 30, 2015, City Notes: City Working Toward Sustainability
- Rosemount Town Pages: April 9, 2015, Residents discover Rosemount has a lot to offer
- Rosemount Town Pages: March 26, 2015, City Notes: Rosemount has made progress
- Rosemount State of the City Address: March 25, 2015, Mayor Bill Droste's prepared remarks (RCP on pp. 6-7)
- Rosemount Town Pages: March 14, 2015 Input Needed for Resilient Communities project
- Star Tribune: January 20, 2015, U students work with Rosemount to boost resident involvement
- Rosemount Town Pages: September 25, 2014, City, U of M kick off partnership
- Rosemount Town Pages: May 29, 2014, City Notes: Rosemount puts focus on sustainability
- Rosemount Town Pages: May 14, 2014, Star evaluation continues
- Eye on Earth (Institute on the Environment), April 11, 2014, Everything's Coming Up Rosemount
- Star Tribune, April 8, 2014, Rosemount Laying the UMore Park Groundwork
- Star Tribune, March 29, 2014, U Will Partner with Rosemount for Special Projects
- Pioneer Press, March 27, 2014, UMN, Rosemount to partner on sustainability issues
- Rosemount Town Pages, March 26, 2014, Resilient Communities Project Chooses Rosemount as 2014-15 Partner
- UMN News Release, March 26, 2014, UMN Resilient Communities Project partners with Rosemount to advance community sustainability
- Rosemount Town Pages, February 7, 2013, Editorial: U of M program could be a good resource
- Rosemount Town Pages, February 6, 2013, City hopes to become 'resilient'